How to Use FaceTime on Android or Windows
FaceTime is an iOS application used to make video calls. However, Apple doesn’t publish any official FaceTime app for Android as its iPhone; but Apple makes a big change in iOS 15. Now, Apple has made it possible and gave Android, or Windows users support to join a FaceTime call with Apple devices (iPhone) running on at least iOS 15. iPhone users who want to make FaceTime calls on Android or Windows need to download and update their phones to iOS 15.
Remember that Android users can only join FaceTime calls, and they can’t host any. Only iPhone users can initiate FaceTime calls and send a link to Android or Windows recipients. Android users will only respond to it to join FaceTime. Here you will know how to use FaceTime to make a call on Android or Windows step-by-step.
How to start a FaceTime call with Android or Windows users?
A person having the Apple (iPhone) device can only make and schedule FaceTime calls. Android or Windows users can’t initiate FaceTime calls. They can only join calls made by someone using an Apple device (iPhone). Android or Windows users need a Chrome browser or Microsoft Edge and a built-in or connected microphone and camera to participate in FaceTime call.
Apple user who wants to start FaceTime call needs anyone from the following device:
- An iPhone device running on at least iOS 15
- An iPad device running on at least iPadOS 15
- A Mac device running on at least macOS 12 Monterey
Steps for iPhone users to start FaceTime with Android or Windows
- Open the FaceTime app on your iPhone.
- If you are not login in yet, you need to log in with your Apple username and password.
- Tap on the “Create Link” button to create a FaceTime link. A screen will show the “FaceTime Link” with the “Add Name” option. If you prefer, type a preferred title to name and tap “OK.”
- You will find various options to share your link to an Android or Windows user from the pop-up screen. Choose one from the available options (text, email, Twitter, Google Drive, etc.). You can also copy and paste the link to share it via any other means of link sharing application.
- Now, tap on the small “i” icon next to your link and tap on “Share Link“.
- Tap on “Messages” and add the contact you want to invite to join FaceTime call by clicking on the green + Now, send your link.
Steps for Android or Windows users to join FaceTime with iPhone (link sender)
Android or Windows users need the link to join FaceTime call sent to them by a person having Apple (iPhone) device. They don’t need to download any separate application to attain FaceTime. Once they receive the link showing “facetime.apple.com“, they need to open it on Chrome or Microsoft Edge. Follow the below-mentioned steps to join a FaceTime call using a shared link:
- Click on the FaceTime link you receive to open it on your device (Android or Windows).
- The link will open in any of your browsers (Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge).
- Enter your name, and tap on the “Continue” button to proceed.
- Allow permission to FaceTime to access your microphone and camera.
- Select “Join” and wait for the person hosting the call to let you in
- To leave the FaceTime call, tap on the Leave
What you can do in a FaceTime call on the web
While participating in a FaceTime call on the web browser, you can perform lots of activities while attending the FaceTime app. Some of the activities and settings that you can perform while making FaceTime calls are given below. But on the FaceTime web, SharePlay and screen sharing are not available.
- Mute or unmute microphone option: Using the microphone icon, you can mute your mic or unmute it back again.
- Turn the camera on/off: Using the camera icon, you can turn your camera on/off while calling.
- Use full-screen mode: By pressing the full-screen button, you can make your FaceTime call appear on the complete screen.
- Switch camera view: There is a flip-camera button, which you can use to switch your front or rear-facing camera.
- See all participants in a grid view: In a group FaceTime call, all the participants are arranged in a grid layout. In this layout, the speaker is highlighted so that anyone can know who is speaking.
- Select the participant list and click on the More menu
- Click on the grid layout button to turn the grid layout off and tap again to turn it on from the available options.
Use FaceTime with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
It is very easy to use and make a FaceTime call within the Apple devices iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. You can make FaceTime call using Wi-Fi or cellular data connections on supported iOS devices. There might be possible that you can’t find FaceTime on devices purchased in UAE. Group FaceTime (video) and FaceTime audio calls are not supported on iPhone and iPad with a cellular data connection in China mainland (territory claimed by the People’s Republic of China).
Turn on FaceTime
Launch the FaceTime app on the iOS device (iPhone, iPad) and sign in with your Apple username and password. You can also open it from Settings > FaceTime. If you are using FaceTime on an iPhone, your device automatically registers your phone number with this application. If you are using this application on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you may need to register your email address:
- Open the Settings app of your iPhone and tap on FaceTime.
- Use your Apple ID to access FaceTime.
- Sign in with your Apple credentials (username and password).
Make a FaceTime call
Before making a FaceTime call, ensure that you have the person’s phone number or registered email Id. You need anyone from these two data of that person. Here are the steps you can follow to make a FaceTime call on iPhone or iPad device:
- Launch the FaceTime app and tap on the New FaceTime
- Enter the phone number or email address of the receiver person you want to FaceTime.
- You can also tap on the + icon within the circle to select a contact from the saved contacts list.
- After providing the person’s detail, tap on the audio call icon or FaceTime to make a FaceTime call.
- You can also start a FaceTime call from your iPhone during the normal phone call. Tap on the FaceTime icon on the screen while calling to switch to FaceTime call.
Create a link to a FaceTime call
Using devices running on iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, you can create a FaceTime link and send it to other persons you want to speak to via email or message (using any messaging app). The receiver will use that link to join and initiate a call. Follow the given steps to create and share FaceTime links to others:
- Open the FaceTime app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the “Create Link” button to create a FaceTime link.
- On the sliding screen, “Add Name” option. If you prefer, type a preferred title to name and tap “OK.”
- Share the link using a message, email, or any other supported applications to the person you want to call.
Answer a FaceTime audio call with call waiting
When another call comes, whether it has a normal phone call, FaceTime audio, or FaceTime while speaking on a current call, you can choose any of the below options:
- Terminate and accept: Terminate the current call you speak to and accept the incoming call.
- Hold and accept: Put your current call on hold and attend the new incoming call.
- Decline: You can strictly decline the incoming call.
Share your screen
There is also an option to share your FaceTime screen with others while making a FaceTime call. Sharing screen helps you to look at photos, or browse the web. Following are the steps you can follow to share your screen with others.
- Start a FaceTime call.
- Now, tap on the Share Content
- Finally, tap on Share My Screen to share your screen.
When you share your FaceTime screen, everyone can see what is on your screen until you stop sharing it. But the person with whom you are sharing the FaceTime screen can’t control anything on your device. Infect they can’t be able to see any notifications if you get on your phone during sharing your screen.
Filter background sounds
When you want your voice to reach clearly at the receiver end during a FaceTime call, and turned off other unnecessary sounds, you have to turn on the Voice Isolation feature. The Voice Isolation feature gives more priority to your voice and blocks out other disturbing noises during FaceTime calls.
- At the time of your FaceTime call, open the Control Center and then tap on the Mic Mode.
- Select Voice Isolation.
Another feature is ‘Wide Spectrum’, which allows your voice and surrounding sound to be heard in a FaceTime call and leave surrounding noise unfiltered.
- At the time of your FaceTime call, open the Control Center and then tap Mic Mode.
- Select Wide Spectrum.
Blur the background with Portrait mode
On devices running on iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, enable the Portrait mode to automatically blur the background and keep the visual focus on you, the same job Portrait mode does in the Camera app.
- During your FaceTime call, tap your picture-in-picture tile.
- Tap the Portrait mode button at the top left of the personal video tile.
To turn Portrait mode off, tap the Portrait mode button again.